Monday, December 20, 2010

The Season...

The season has been crazy.  Busy, busy, busy. One day rushing into the next.  One of these years I am going to get my shopping done early and be able to sit back and relax and watch everyone else run around with their heads cut off!  That is what I have told myself for too many years.
Abby and her cousins, Cassie and Kylie
Last Friday we did spend the evening in Salt Lake with Brad's brothers and their families.  We went to Temple Square to look at the millions and millions of beautiful lights, what an amazing job they do decorating.
Then on Saturday we spent the afternoon with my family having our family Christmas party.  It is always an awesome time when I get to spend time with my sisters and their families.  Quite honestly, there is nothing better than family.
On Sunday our ward did a sacrament meeting of musical numbers.  I could feel the spirit pretty strong.  I also could feel the absence of Tanton.  I was sad that he wasn't there sitting with us, like he usually is.  I was trying to think of the bright side and that is that he will only be away for two Christmases and one will already be down so quickly!  But unfortunately, I am getting the sneaking suspicion that it is going to be very hard to not have him here this Christmas....















A good friend of mine gave me this poem, and I think it does an excellent job of summarizing my feelings.

A Missionary Christmas

I skipped the sales after Thanksgiving.  The thrill just wasn’t there.  No pictures taken with Santa Claus, My decorating has no flair.  His presents are shoes, shirts, and ties, two suits and socks… no fun. I’ve bought him all white clothes because,

This year I’m giving Christ my son.

I’ve spent more time in the temple, my testimony stirred. I’ve reread November’s Ensign, felt strength come from His words. Our family prays more frequently. My tears are quick to run. Abraham seems closer because,

This year I’m giving Christ my son.

I wonder how those Lamanite mothers, gave their sons to war? Or how the pioneers chose Zion, their sacrifice was so much more. My loss will be his presence, I’ll miss his smile a ton. For two years we will pray for him,

I’m giving Christ my son.

I stare at his face when he’s not looking. I memorize his eyes, their shine. He’s always hungered for the part of Him that makes his soul divine. The stories and the lessons he always heard, his choice and mine are one. I’ll put my faith in God’s hands.  This year,

I’m giving Him my son.

Past gifts have lost their glitter. I think I finally understand: Christ’s birth should be celebrated by giving Him a hand. It’s because I know Christ lives and reigns that all his packing’s done. My gift has taken years to make. This year,

I’m giving Christ my son.

I know there’s One who understands the sacrifice I’m making. Who knows the gift I willingly give, the toll it will be taking. For He has done it all before – greater love, there could be none. For years ago God gave to me,

His only begotten son.

The hands I washed, the hands I held, the hands I taught to pray; now knock the doors to find the ones who will listen to what he’ll say. Because I know Christ needs him, until all the gathering’s done. My gift has taken years to make.

This year…I’m giving Christ my son.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, you're making me cry now...this is a good one. I can see your feelings in the story. Hang in there sister...you're doing just fine. Love you...Kim

    ReplyDelete